Nexus-e is an interconnected energy system modeling platform which aims to facilitate the energy transition in Switzerland by serving as a modeling infrastructure for researchers, students, and industry partners.
Using the Nexus-e platform, we develop pathways for the Swiss energy system and analyze the impact of technological, economic, regulatory, and societal developments.
The Nexus-e platform aims to
- represent the whole energy system at regional and national scales,
- combine strengths of top-down and bottom-up modeling approaches to account for complexity and multidisciplinarity in the energy system,
- be a platform with a modular structure, well-defined interfaces, and transparent assumptions,
- provide an infrastructure that is continuously used, extended, and improved by researchers from ETH Zurich, other institutions, and industry partners,
- inform private and public stakeholders on topics concerning the energy transition to support public engagement.
With a current focus on electricity, the Nexus-e platform will include more components of the energy system, including energy supply and use, for example, related to buildings, transportation, or environmental impacts.